Nvidia Shield Handheld Gaming Device Announced
And just like that Nvidia is getting into the mobile gaming device arena.
Nvidia Shield Handheld Console
Announced just a few moments ago at CES, Nvidia’s Project Shield is a complete, dedicated handheld/portable game system – like Nintendo’s DS, or PlayStation’s Vita.
The announced seems to have come as a complete shock to the entire gaming & tech industries. Usually there are rumors floating around, and there’s usually a few it’s all part of the PR buzz game, but not this time. Nvidia appears to have pulled a complete ninja move with this announcement.
Nvidia Shield Details
Although some details remain unknown- here’s what we know so far
- Tegra 4 processor – worlds fastest mobile processor
- Android Jelly Bean OS
- Google Apps & Play Store
- 5-10 hours of gaming
- 24 hours of HD video playback
- recharagable lithium ion batteries (33w)
- 5 inch screen
- retinal display – 294ppi pixel density
- wireless video streaming (not yet, but comings soon)
- HDMI output, connect & play on HDTV screens
- multi-touch screen
- L/R trigger
- L/R analog sticks
- directional pad
- x4 button (diamond pattern set up
- x4 operational buttons (start, mute, back, home)
- built in stereo sound system (rivals Beats Audio equipped laptops)
- Micro SD port
- HDMI port (4k resolution video output)
- headphone jack
- 802.11n 2×2 MIMO game-speed Wi-Fi
- Plays games from Google Play Store, Android games, Tegrazone
- Plays PC games remotely from Steam (with compatable GeForce GTX GPU)
We’ll share more details as they become available.
What are your first impressions?
Does Nvidia Shield have a chance? Is there room for another handheld/mobile gaming platform?